The thyroid hormones control many body activities including the metabolism of fat and carbohydrates, respiration, nervous system, cholesterol levels, heart, body temperature, brain development, menstrual cycles, and many more.
When the thyroid gland produces more hormones than the body needs hyperthyroidism occurs, and when the gland does not produce enough of the hormones this condition is called hypothyroidism. The symptoms of the first condition are weight loss, high blood pressure, palpitations, and diarrhea, while symptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain, difficulty concentrating, dry skin, and fatigue.
You can maintain healthy thyroid naturally and reduce or increase its work. In order boost its function at a healthy level you may want to try this recipe.
- 1 cup of cranberry juice;
- 7 cups of filtered water;
- ¼ tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- ¾ tbsp. of freshly squeezed orange juice;
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg;
- ½ tbsp. of Ceylon cinnamon;
- ¼ tsp of dry ginger.
How to prepare it: heat the water until it almost boils and add the cranberry juice along with the spices. Let it simmer for 20 minutes and remove it from the heat, let it cool off and then add the lemon and orange juice. Drink it throughout the day.
How are the ingredient beneficial?
- Vitamin C from the lemon and orange juice are high in antioxidants which maintain the thyroid gland health.
- Cinnamon reduces inflammation, reducing the risk of hypothyroidism;
- Ginger is packed with magnesium that controls this condition;
- Blueberries are a great iodine source which act in the production of thyroid hormones.
You should increase the intake of vitamin D and B12, selenium in order to maintain the health of the thyroid glands.
- Eat fish and shellfish at least 4 times a week due to the iodine they contain. Moreover, include seaweed and ionized salt.
- Avoid using the non-stick pans as they have been connected to accumulation of chemical in them with thyroid disorders.
- Regularly do medical examinations no matter if you are not suffering from one of these conditions as the symptoms may be confused with other diseases.
- Couple of studies have shown that the toxicant snuff alters the thyroid function and the concentration of thyroid hormone in the body. Quit the snuff.
Be cautious while eating cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower as they are “boclogenos” – contain chemical compounds that slow the thyroid activity.